Monday, June 18, 2018

Week 9 as a Real Estate Investor - June 11 - 17, 2018

Week 9 update: We wrapped up Building 4 in Houlton and it sold out the same day. That is a great feeling. The excitement isn't over, however, we still have one unit left from a tenant swapping units. I'm guessing it's just a matter of time now until that unit goes too. It's always a relief to have that kind of interest. I certainly want to be right about building the facility but more importantly, I need it to work our financially, of course. I'd be perfectly content being dead wrong if there was a pot of gold at the end of that rainbow.
I spent a lot of time chasing contractors around as we wrapped up B4. We finished up electrical which was a relief seeing that we had a number of new tenants that wanted to move it. Asphalt pavers were the unpredictable ones this week. They grading the parking lot and took out the gravel ramps (for tenants to get into their units) and left for the weekend. We had one tenant that was planning on moving in on Saturday. He showed up and couldn't get into his unit. The bummer is that he had set up all these rides to get his things moved and he had to cancel. Such a bummer. I'm going to take full responsibility for this though. I should have told the pavers that they couldn't start unless they could finish. Now with the rains we got over night, I'm not sure if they will get paving in today or not. So our tenants may have to deal with this bummer situation for another day or two. The tenants are crabby and rightfully so. This was supposed to be done on Tuesday and they were left without access to their unit all weekend.
I called in a final inspection for B4 and they didn't like that we already let tenants into the building. We've done this before and no one had any issues with it. I guess we'll find out how big of a deal this is. My thought is that it's just stuff, not lives are at risk. I hope they see it my way. We will proceed with more caution in the future.
The rest of the week was spent filling out paperwork and chasing bank requests for Building 5 in Houlton and loan submittals for our Hudson project. Oh, and our neighbor in Hudson doesn't like our name. Seems to think our name is too similar to his. I'm working through this issue. The State of WI did approve our name so I'm not sure what recourse he could have. But, we would like to play nice, too. Angie says go with it. I'm still thinking. I sure would like to keep our naming convention consistent. I'll let you know what we decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment