Monday, June 18, 2018

Week 8 of Self Employment - 2 months in and we're not broke yet!

2 months in (Week 8 update). Finally got some renters into Building 4. Including the one renter we signed on today, we only have 3 units left in our facility. 2 in the new building. Plus, we have about 4 or 5 people interested in renting so I'm guessing it'll only take another week or so to fill up. This process is so weird. I worry, worry, worry that we won't be able to put people in the units and then as soon as the building gets finished, people beat our doors down. I have to admit, it is a bit of a thrill getting the buildings rented up.
Week 8 was a great success for our Hudson project too. We got site plan approval from the Township and therefore we are good to keep rocking and rolling. We should be ready to submit our stormwater calculations and grading permits to the DNR in a week or so once the engineering is done. It was exciting to put the call into our building designer saying he needs to get rocking and rolling! State review was taking a long time earlier this spring so I'm hoping it will be quicker this time of year. We are hoping to break ground mid-July. Let's hope we can keep that timeline.
Struggles included motivating the electrician to get his stuff done. This has been a constant struggle. If anyone has suggestions on other, reasonable electricians in Western WI, I'd be open to interviewing them. I feel like each of our 4 buildings has gone increasingly more poorly and therefore it might be time for a change. I don't like getting told Tuesday and then Tuesday comes and goes without my project getting prioritized to a certain degree. Poor communication is another big issue. I can never ask more than 3 questions on a phone conversation otherwise he gets overwhelmed. If you are having these same problems, I'd say it's time to cut bait. I need to take my own advise this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment