Monday, November 19, 2018

Week 31 of Self Employment:



This week wasn't nearly as stressful as week 30 was. I was actually able to stop and think about things a bit and no additional wrenches were thrown into the machine.
Houlton Storage Garages: We finally got all of Building #5 wired and ready for electricity. Xcel was able to install the meters for all the units but we still haven't had them (it's a different crew, naturally) run the main power to our meter panel. So that means we have everything wired, but no power. Sort of ironic.
We are still awaiting running the power to our north and south entrance gates. That should be fun to have the gates fully operational and get our keypads set up for overnight security purposes. We haven't had any issues so far (knock on wood) other than a random burnout or two (the kind that come from tires, not the type of person). I do want to get them up before someone has a little too much fun and puts a car into a building.
We are also awaiting our new security system. Not sure what happened to our security person. We may be forced to go a different route if they can't get their stuff together. This relationship isn't starting off on the right foot. Maybe I'm giving them too much rope.
Two interesting notes about developing your own properties. 1.) When you start a project, everyone wants their say and everyone wants to sign off on the project. 2.) When you complete a project, those same people want to have a say and sign off on your project. However, none of them are reachable. This makes running a business hard. I feel like I'm a total pain in the butt when I continue to hound people to get simple reviews. Not sure what else I can do. I don't want to be "that guy" any more than I already am. I'll continue to send a weekly "ping" to try to get my final sign offs.
Occupancy is a bit more qualitative than it is quantitative. Let me explain. We only have one unit available right now. We have also completely rented up Building 5 which is not 100% finished yet. However, we have two current renters who are going to move out of their current units to occupy Building 5 space. So that means we will have 3 open units as of December 1st. Still a great situation but it feels awkward saying we have 3 units open when we only have 1 that is immediately available. Either way, it's all good.
We had some last minute shifting to perform in order to accommodate some tenants. An existing tenant decided against the new unit he was going to move into. Therefore, we had to rent the new unit to the person who was going to rent the existing tenant's space (at a discount, which is really the only true negative of the situation) but was waiting for him to move out. Confused? So were we. It took only slightly less than a million texts and phone conversations to get all of the swaps right for getting tenants into Building 5. In the end, it'll all work out. It's just funny how very little of our initial plans ever ends up actually working out when we build a new building. Let me tell you, it's a great opportunity to get to know your new tenants, however. And that's always fun for me.
Storage Garages of Hudson: Wednesday came and went and no pavement was laid down. That officially puts an end to any dreams I had of paving our main entrance road and in between Buildings 1 and 3. I spent a couple days shoveling off the concrete pad for Building 3 in hopes that there wouldn't be much ice built up. We still have a few small bird baths on the slab that have ice in them, but overall, I think we can build the new building as necessary. Contractor is looking to start the building the week after Thanksgiving. I hope that actually happens. It is interesting when you're full. On one hand, it's great to be full. On the other hand it totally stinks to have to tell a potential renter than you don't have anything for them. I feel like that's bad business. We try to cross-sell to a certain degree, but most people want what they want (and I totally get it).
We got going on creating a space for a rental office. Mainly it will be an opportunity for us to have a warm place for people to sign lease agreements and such at the facility. People always want to see their unit and drive around, but it will be so nice to have a place to sit down and take our time. Winter tends to put a rush on the rental process and I always feel guilty having renters rush in and out.
Border Properties LLC: Our renters are awesome. Next.
Other: I've had some fun selling some snow plows and other items for friends this past week. I've put a few plows on trucks in the past and therefore I've come to know a thing or two about them. I'm no expert, but I have a good idea of what things go for. My friends wanted to get rid of his equipment, he left some meat on the bone, as they say, and I had some free time to list them for him. It took about 2 weeks but we got those sold. I love Craigslist. I feel like I'm getting pretty decent at weeding out the tire kickers. I also love the single line texts: Will you take $1,000 cash for your $2,000 item? Craigslist tip - only negotiate in person. That way both parties are willing and able to buy the item. Way too many people who live 3 hours away offer me 1/2 price (IN CASH - like I'd take anything else) and then have no way to get to or pay for the item. Seriously.... Buyers are buyers, they rarely have a story and they always have a plan for picking up the item and have money for the item. I'm not sure if my Craigslist etiquette is proper or not, but I'm just flat out asking buyers before they show up if they will have the cash with them. Again, buyers rarely have a story other than, "yes, I do".
I also rented out my frost blankets that I purchased on Craigslist for another week. It was the same renter but hey, I made a few more bucks on the deal. Fun stuff. OMG, this post is starting to feel like an episode of Pickers. I'll stop.
Lastly, I set up a showing for a self storage facility over Thanksgiving weekend. I'm excited to check it out. I hope I can work out a deal. If not, we have a few other things in the hopper but nothing imminent. It also looks like I'll start mentoring Self Storage students around the first of the year. I'm definitely looking forward to that too. Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment