Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Week 30: Self Employed, Self Storage

This was the most hectic week we've had being self employed. So much happened and didn't happen. Crazy. Winter happened, and therefore many other things DIDN'T happen. Here we go:
Storage Garages of Hudson: Building 5 in Hudson isn't going to happen. Paving isn't going to happen. Had some not so friendly discussions with pavers. You know how this goes....everyone thinks it's everyone else's fault. We'll both get over it. Our grading contractor touched up the driveways and added gravel to the parking/driving area in front of Building 5.
Got a call from our concrete contractor: the concrete floors on Building 5 aren't going to happen this year. Too much frost and cold weather. I talked with the builders and they aren't going to be able to build Building 5 this winter without the floors. Basically, the crosswalls that divide up the units add rigidity to the structure. Without them, we risk the building falling down. Without the slab poured, no crosswalls. No bueno.
Fence guys got starting in Hudson. They got stuck in the sand. I had to laugh a little but I think Karma bit me in the rear - they are slightly behind schedule but they should get everything wrapped up prior to hard-winter arriving.
It looks like we are still a couple weeks out before Building 3 will get constructed. Everyone is busy, busy. With the snow on the slab, it's probably good they can't start construction right now. Hopefully we get some warm weather to melt the snow off before they start the building. Once that roof goes up, no sun hits the slab which makes melting snow almost impossible.
The good news in Hudson: We're FULL! Hurray. That took a little longer than I thought but progress nonetheless. Now we're chomping at the bit to get Building 3 up (our 2nd building).
Houlton Storage Garages: Waiting game. We're waiting on electrician to finish up the units (for the 3rd straight week) and we're waiting on Xcel to get the power run to the new building (for the 3rd straight week). Heaters are in, insulation is blown into the ceiling and everything is a go otherwise. Just got a little electrical problem.... I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but this building is already full. Oh wait, we might have one unit available. We have had a couple people back out on moving into the new building and we just had a little confusion in the mix. No problem as we still have a little waiting to do on the electrical. I don't see a problem with getting things rented up, however.
Other: So I bought some frost blankets for keeping concrete warm in the cold weather. I bought them to rent out and to add a little more excitement. We rented them out the first week things got cold and that paid for the blankets. Hopefully we can keep them rented. The cold weather has definitely added some interest. It's $70/week which isn't much, of course, but it was a little bit of an experiment. I don't really have a way to prosecute someone who doesn't bring them back so I'm going to see how much faith in humanity I have after this whole process. So far so good. If this experiment goes well, I may look for other items to rent out via Craigslist. Buy cheap, and rent out. Kind of a silly side hobby at this point.
Other than that, we've been selling every imaginable item laying around the house that we don't have a need for. This has been fun too. No, we're not broke (yet) but we've also come to realize that so many things have value that we aren't using or taking advantage of.
Oh, and I'm looking for a new fun car. Angie was sort of supportive when I told her (she didn't throw anything at me, so that means she's fine with it), so I've started the search. I'm mostly worried about Summer Nationals coming to St. Paul in June and me not having a car to autocross. I know, stupid, right? Not everything can make sense!
And we're also still looking for another property. We put a bid on WisDOT surplus property in Hudson, WI but we were outbid. We also planned on putting a bid on a tax delinquent property in Florida, but that got redeemed. I really want to take down another maxi-storage facility in the Twin Cities. We are officially on the prowl!



No comments:

Post a Comment