Monday, July 9, 2018

Week 10 of financial independence

Well, we jumped the gun on advertising full occupancy in Houlton. I guess I should have known better. We had two people that were "for sure" going to take a unit, back out. Maybe it's good we have some availability. It allows us to keep people coming through the facility. Full is good, but this isn't that bad. We will survive!
We got our final inspection on Building 4 which is always a relief. We are still having issues with our eyes on our exterior lights on Buildings 1-3. See the funny video. The light goes on because it's dark but then instantly turns itself off because it senses that it's daytime. I think we have it figured out on B4 so we just need to retrofit the lights.
We have a little finishing touches to take care of this week and we can finally final out the first 4 buildings. It never goes perfectly smooth but we are slowly chipping away. With each subsequent building, we get better a better.
Hudson Storage Garages is moving forward too. We needed some signed paperwork back from our contractor and that tends to be an issue when you work with an Amish contractor. It just adds a little complication.
I also talked with our supplier and builder about building prices as material costs are going up in a hurry. So we are battling that to a certain degree. We definitely want to get going on our project to lock in the costs on a few buildings. It sounds like price increases are slowing down to a certain degree. I'm hoping that is the case. Otherwise I could see less building in general for the nation as the numbers might not work on new construction projects. This along with rising interest rates could have a slowing effect on the economy. I will continue to monitor. I think a lot of people are looking for where the next economic downturn is going to come from. Maybe this is it? If houses are too expensive to buy/build, maybe rentals and apartments are where the smart money should go. Something to ponder.....
Engineering plans for Hudson are close to the finish line and should be done next week. I'm sure I'll report on that next week. We did finalize the building designs and sent those off to the State for review. Things are boggying right along with that too. I don't really have much involvement other than a quick review here or there. It's nice to know my team is working on the background while I concentrate on other things. In the meantime, we will continue to chip away.

No comments:

Post a Comment