Monday, April 16, 2018

Never a good time?

Yes, it's true, there is never a good time to start a business (or have a kid).  But you have to push through.  You have to be persistent.  Actually, I feel persistence is the most important trait you can have while starting out on your own.  Hell, it might be the ONLY trait you need to get started.  You can pick up the rest as you go. 

Anyway, getting back to it's never a good time to get started, here is how it went down for me:

I worked 80 hrs per week (40 hrs at my day job and 40 hrs on the business) to write my business plan and get the new business figured out for about 8-9 months prior to going out on my own.  This was while we had a toddler who was just starting to toddle.  Then, about 1.5 months before I was to quit my job and start off on my own, my brother passed away in a motorcycle accident.  That was another life-altering experience.  When I got home from the funeral, my wife gave me the news that she was pregnant with #2.  My head was spinning and self-doubt was definitely creeping in.  But after talking with my wife some more, we decided that this was truly what we had to do for our family.  No matter how hard life currently was. 

It seemed like bad timing on all fronts but what were we going to do, wait until the kids were out of the house?  Nope, we just knew we had to work harder to make it work.  We had to continue to trust we were doing the right thing.  Trust your plan.


No comments:

Post a Comment