Thursday, October 4, 2018

Week 24 of Self Employment:

I am newly motivated to hit the ground running this week. As you may have noticed in other posts, Storage Garages of Hudson is ripping right along. The good news is that interest is also ripping right along. I think we have 4 units already spoken for (actually 5, now that I think of it). That is always a relief. The last update item in Hudson is that we are ready for paving (2 weeks out) and we got electric run for all the buildings. At least it's ready for power. It allows us to pave and or bury everything on site so that's good. We shouldn't have to worry about that for the rest of this year, anyway.
Houlton Storage Garages: Building 5 will start next week which is great. Lots of interest for the heated units there. I guess it's that time of year. We ran power for our gates which is great. Once the overhead lines are buried, we'll finally be able to pave. I got notice that burying the overhead line won't happen until Oct 15th which is NOT good news. That is pushing pretty late in the year for paving. It should be fine but if we get some early snow or an early cold snap, that could screw things up. I'm going to cross my fingers and toes that we can get that paving done prior to winter.
Other: I attended the Self-Storage Academy by Scott Meyers last week. Very good educational seminar. Well worth the drive to Indianapolis, IN. There were people from Puerto Rico, Alaska, California, New Hampshire, Florida, Texas, etc. Literally every corner of the US and more. Most people were newbies but the panel and speakers were super impressive and professional. I definitely learned a lot.
They brought me down to Indy to potentially be a mentor for some of the up-and-comers. I'm deciding on that as I want to make sure I have the time necessary to do a good job for the new investors. I made some new friends and had a great time learning and teaching and telling our story.
We lost out on the warehouse property I was looking at with another investor. That was disappointing. Still looking at another mini and have a new mission to find a larger mini-storage that we can take on and run remotely. The new objective is to get enough properties to sustain office staff of some sort to take the added burden off of Angie's plate. After discussing this a lot at the SS Academy, this seems within reach.


Image may contain: sky and outdoor

No comments:

Post a Comment