Thursday, September 20, 2018

Sorry, not sorry.

Sorry for dumping 4 post on you in the course of 2 days.  How is it possible for 3 weeks to go by that fast?  Things are busy.  Working on a couple of deals which has taken a lot of my time.  Funny because I'd say that they are only about 10 hours of deliberation, it's just that making offers and talking with partners and talking with people who have the deals takes time.  I'm sure my wife wonders what I do all day.  I kind of do too but I do know I'm cranking away.  Here is a brief summary of what I've been up to other than our Houlton, Hudson, and Prescott properties.

Made offer on mini storage.  Worked with a friend to put the money together for that.  Nothing is solidified.  No response on the offer (is that good or bad?).  Sometimes the offer just is what it is.  I can't pay asking just cuz that's what they're asking.  The numbers gotta work.  At our offer, they still work.  Let's hope that one comes through because I think it would slot nicely into our storage offerings.

Made offer on maxi storage.  Worked with a new friend I met from Bigger Pockets to find and work out an offer on a really awesome property.  I'm trying not to be too much of a fanboy with this property.  I love garages and warehouses and this one is as cool as they come (in my opinion).  I also think it is VERY rentable.  The trouble is that it's completely vacant.  We need the sellers to do seller financing to make the deal happen.  It just is what it is.  I would love to get this property under our umbrella too as it would be another great option for businesses in the SE Twin Cities metro.  This one is a little closer into the Cities which a lot of people have been asking us for.  Like I said, very rentable.

I've been working on a project for a 39.5-lot subdivision.  This one is going to take some creativity.  The price for the lots is really fair.  However, it's up to me to build the roads and get builders on board to buy the lots.  In the end, the lots will sell for $70k each.  That's a lot for a City lot.  But the catch is that the City will allow a Twin Home to be built on the lot thereby reducing the lot price to $35k/side of the Twin Home.  This is great except that it also means that 39 lots turns into 78 buyers.  That's a lot of buyers which means this is a few year long project.  And therein lies the issue.  How much drag is the financing going to be for a project like this?  I would love to do this project but what happens if the market stagnates and you can only sell 1/3 of the lots.  There is real potential that you might sit on a few lots for a while.  But there is also real potential that builders would buy 4-5 lots each and sell you out prior to building the road.  I'm going to meet with a potential partner on this project.  Let's hope that we can figure out a creative way to make this happen.

Lastly, the other items I've been doing is putting together summaries of the projects we've done to give potential investors an idea of my track record.  I'll be sharing those on here as case studies moving forward.  At this point, I think you have enough content for this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment