Friday, May 11, 2018

Keep your eyes on the prize!

I came to the conclusion that I was starting to think I was too big for my own britches.  I was starting to think I could do anything I put my mind to.  

For example, I went to the Minnesota Cup entrepreneurial competition info night to pursue some ideas I had about an off-the-wall business for rental equipment vending machines.  I thought my idea was so good.  I thought that my idea was hard to execute but doable.  Then I talked about it.  Out loud.  To other people.  That's when I felt like I was full of BS.   I mean, yes, I could probably see this through.  Yes, I could probably make a lot of money at this.  But the realization that I probably wouldn't want to swept over me at this MN Cup info night.  I suddenly got the feeling that I was out of my mind.  I know self-storage and railroad construction.  Why am I trying to go in another direction when I haven't tapped out the things I have real knowledge and expertise in?  Why?  I think it had to do with the idea in the back of my head that by venturing off on my own, the storage and/or railroad business would not happen fast enough to really ramp up.  Ironically, I thought something that I had no real knowledge in would move faster or equally fast.  Again, I realized that I was REALLY wrong.  

With that, I decided I need to concentrate on maximizing profits on my current projects and network.  I was hoping that if I networked more, I might be able to find more funding and potential partners for future projects.  So that's what I set out to do.  Within 3 weeks I have about 6 more leads on projects and 3-4 potential project partners and I can feel the momentum starting to snowball.  I just need to keep my head down, continue to meet and learn from other investors and this thing WILL happen for me.  I can see in my progress over just the past 3 weeks that this IS going to work the way I loosely envisioned when I gave my 2-week notice to leave my job.  

And maybe, when I get very comfortable with my current financial position, THEN I can start chasing other opportunities outside my expertise.  But not until my current expertise has run it's course.  

I need to FOCUS because I'm not as good as I think I am.  I have a long way to go before I get there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment